Tuesday, April 5, 2011

No Is An Answer Just Like Yes

So this past few weeks has been one busy day after another. It has been a bit hectic, but last night provided a much needed moment of reflection. I met this great guy at prison ministry. He was a part of the group we were mentoring. He told a testimony of how God was with him when he was on the run for five years. It was so inspiring because he talked of God in a way that most Christians fail to. He talked of God and I felt like he was taking ownership of his relationship with Him.

It was so awesome to hear the young man recite Psalm 91. Recite is probably not the appropriate word. There was no sense of rote memory. It was like he had taken the words and hidden them in his heart. He even said to us that he felt the words were a part of him. I was so grateful for the opportunity to meet him. I felt like there really was some purpose behind what we are striving to do.

On our way home, I received some news that troubled me. For a moment I sat there a bit bewildered and angry. I forgot inspiration. I forgot hope. I forgot everything except despair. But then, I remembered a young lady that I met a few years back. The words of her testimony began to play in my mind. Her family had at one point received the same news that my family had. I was able to hear her testimony because though the doctor said she would surely die, God allowed her to live.

Her family was given a yes. As I sit here typing this, I know that God will hear our prayers. He will hear and He will answer. The thing that I must embrace is the fact that no is an answer just like yes.

No comments: