Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Bride and Bridegroom

It took me going through a few things to understand something about the bride and bridegroom. I forgot that the ultimate union is not between a man and a woman. The ultimate union is between the Lord and the church. A single person is to be concerned with the things of God, while a married person is to be concerned with the things of the world (how to be pleasing to a husband/wife). I realized recently that I was out of order. I was concerned with the things of the world when I should have been concerned with the things of God.

Last year I was perplexed and a little excited when it was placed on my heart to prepare for the big day. I thought that preparation meant a lot of things. Many of the things that women do crossed my mind. Many of them took root in my mind and became the things that I obsessed about. The things that garnered all of my time were all about the world. I spent time looking at dresses, invitations, locations, etc. I somehow that the the world's preparation was what I was to focus on. There is nothing wrong with wanting a nice dress. There is nothing wrong with choosing nice invitations. The root of the problem is my preparation was all about worldly things. I hadn't considered truly preparing for the bridegroom. I hadn't considered the Godliness of it all. Instead of choosing a dress, I should have been reading what God says about how a wife must present herself. Instead of spending time worrying about the path of my groom, I should have been spending time with the one I'd already given myself to.

Giving your life to God is such a blessing, but we often miss what is in front of us because we are consumed with the trappings of this world. Believers, do not neglect your groom. Show Him the love you desire. Only He can truly know how to meet your need.

No comments: