Tuesday, February 17, 2015

What Happens Before You Say I Do

I am at a point where the people around me believe that the length of time that I've been in a relationship should equal to he and I getting married. I must admit that at one point in my life I believed the same way. I used to believe that something was wrong if you'd been with a person longer than two or three years and you were not married or engaged. The closer that I have become to God the more I understand that my way of thinking was wrong.

My way of thinking was solely based on the length of time we'd spent in the man made world of dating. It had nothing to do with where the relationship was spiritually or what either of us was doing to prepare for I do. It certainly had nothing to do with what God expected from us or where He was leading us.

A few years ago, I began to pray earnestly to God. I told Him where I was in my thinking. I asked Him to help me to get to where He needed me to be in order to be a wife that He was pleased with. When I started praying about it, I only thought of being a man's bride. Even though I was praying to God about it, I hadn't been preparing for God throughout it. My preparation was about letting go of needing to be in charge. My preparation was about allowing myself to trust again. My preparation was about forgiving myself for all the ways that I had been wrong.

Truthfully, these are all things that we should do before we say I do. We should let go of trying to run our own lives and learn how to let God direct our paths. We should trust in the Lord with all our hearts and lean not to our own understanding. We should forgive others and forgive ourselves just as God has already forgiven us. When we do these things with a focus that is on God and not on a man or woman, then we will be in the correct preparation mode for marriage. Ultimately, before you say I do to your earthly spouse, you must be on one accord with your heavenly God.


then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. ~Philippians 2:2


Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: