Friday, February 6, 2015

Choosing Gratitude

The first thing that came to mind this week when I thought of choosing gratitude was a car accident that I was in. I was stopped and a young man rounded a curve and hit my brand new car from behind. My car sustained damage to the trunk, but his car would not move. I called AAA to pick up his car and rode with the tow truck driver to drop him off. I was so thankful that he and I were unharmed. I was so grateful that I had AAA and could help him get his car home.

Many people wondered why I would call for help for someone who had damaged my property. They asked me if I was angry. I remember just being so glad that nothing happened that couldn't be undone. In that moment, God allowed me to choose gratitude over anger. He allowed me to rest in the peace that accompanies gratitude and not focus on any negative impact that the whole thing would have on me.

Shortly after the wreck, I had the opportunity to help a friend who was in need of both financial resources and time. I went to the bank and gave the money right away. I then sat with the person offering guidance on how to make the situation better. I was happy afterward because I had met them at their financial need and I had provided them with a clear path to being out of a bad situation. 

A few weeks went by and the money that I gave was not returned and it appeared that my time had also been wasted. I began to talk about the money and the invaluable advice that had not been taken. I described how truly ungrateful the person had been when I was simply trying to help. 

I received many amens during my self orchestrated pity party. What I should have been receiving was a strong rebuke. When choosing gratitude, we must give thanks in all circumstances. Our thanks, our appreciation, and our praise must be offered to God. God provided me with the means to help, but I focused on it like the power to earn the money was in my hand. God afforded me the opportunity to give them my time, but I forgot that my time was His and not mine to give. The first situation was easy because I kept my focus on the gift that God provided. The second situation was a failure because I could not see God. I could only see myself.

"Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." II Corinthians 9:7

Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: