Monday, February 14, 2011

Don't Believe The Hype

So today is Valentine's Day and as Valentine's days go, mine is about a middle of the road. I started my day with sweet messages from some of my friends. I felt happy, but not really over the top. I already know that I have the best friends a girl could have. We tell each other we love each other all the time so doing it today didn't feel any more or any less important.

One of my coworkers asked me how many roses I received. When I said none, he looked at me a little puzzled and said I don't understand. He inquired further about the reason why. I said simply, I don't have a valentine. His response is what led me to write this. He said certainly someone loves you.

I just stared at him for a while. Then I smiled and walked away. I refuse to engage with him because while I knew what he was getting at, I'm tired of the pretense. I am not in a relationship, but that doesn't mean no one loves me. For me, the truth is almost exactly the opposite. I have a very strong network of people that love me and I'm good with that.

No comments: