Thursday, September 4, 2014

Are You The Tortoise Or The Hare?

The story of the tortoise and the hare is one that most people are familiar with. The tortoise, with its slow and deliberate movements, is challenged to a race by the quick moving hare. Midway through the race, the hare is far ahead of the tortoise and decides it is safe to take a nap. What the hare does not realize is that while he sleeps, the tortoise surpasses him and wins the race.

As many times as I have heard this story, it has never settled in with me the way that it has this week. Thinking about it has made me realize I have been both the tortoise and the hare. I have been the hare so fired up to win souls that I have rushed to share God with everyone that I see. In those moments I was quick to share a word, a scripture, a test, or a triumph to encourage someone. I found myself looking to the left and the right to see if anyone was witnessing like me. The moment it seemed like I was ahead of the game, I relaxed. I backed off of sharing God's goodness. I took a nice long Christian nap while waiting for others to match my Christian work ethic.

Then there were the times when I was totally the tortoise. I approached soul winning deliberately and with precision. I thought about how to approach someone. I asked God for the words to say and I waited for Him to tell me when and how to move. I didn't concern myself with what anyone else was doing for God. I knew that I was on my assignment working at what God had for me to accomplish. I knew that staying the course and following His direction was the only way to win the race.

But, life and the realities that we face have a way of pushing us all into the hare mentality. Something tragic happens and we find ourselves rushing to save our neighbor, the mailman, and the random stranger walking down the street. Anxiety and panic sets in for all the people that we forgot to witness to, forgot to pray with, or forgot to show some kindness.

The key is to find a way to live consistently as the tortoise. Then we would understand that while time is of the essence and we must have a sense of urgency about the things of God, it is alright to take your time and trust Him to lead and guide you. Besides, hurrying frantically to the finish line is only a factor when you have allowed yourself to sleep on the things of God.


The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9

Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: