Thursday, December 18, 2014

Do My Prophets (Children) No Harm

As an educator, I have the privilege of standing before a captive audience day after day. My position within the school guarantees me a certain level of respect. Students are instructed by their parents and loved ones to listen to the teacher because he or she knows what they are talking about. The instruction given by parents shows that they too believe in the power of the one called to stand before their children everyday. I have seen educators use that power to build doctors, lawyers, and teachers. I have also seen the power used to destroy hopes and dreams with one misplaced word. 

This week I had the opportunity to be in a classroom working with a group of fourth graders. I have worked with them all in some capacity throughout this year, however this week I have been in the position of teacher. We had a discussion on Wednesday about how they believe teachers perceive them. One by one the students spoke honestly about what others thought and how their actions helped to shape those beliefs. When it was almost over and the last student was about to speak, I decided to take that opportunity to build. I decided to speak hope, encouragement, and life into nine and ten year olds simply because it was in my power to do so.

A few of the self professed bad kids were confused when I said "you have all the tools to be successful". More than one told me they didn't understand how I could say they were leaders knowing that they had already been suspended multiple times. I replied the same way to all of them. "I know that you have the capacity to be great. It's time that you knew that too."

I share this story because each of us has a choice to make. We decide whether we will build or destroy every single day. We work as Christ did when we choose to build. His word gave us life. His word sustains us. His word builds us. We never know if God has called the person in front of us to be the next mayor, police officer, or prophet of the Most High God. So we must be careful that the words we choose are blocks used to build and not those designed to cause nothing but harm.


Adayinthelife :-)


No comments: