Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Thrill of A Roller Coaster

I don't know about you, but the simplest things cause me to worry. If I wake up a little tired in the morning, I worry about making it to work on time or how my day will go. If I forget to say my prayers before I leave, I wonder if God will be upset because I say them when I am distracted in the car. Then there's worrying about if I'm doing a good job at work or within the ministry. There are so many things on a daily basis that get into my head and threaten to fill me with worry.

I won't tell you that I am always able to just shake it off. That would be completely untrue. I have had moments of uncertainty that took over my entire day. In those moments, it was like having an out of body experience. I knew that worrying wouldn't solve anything. I knew that whatever it was would at some point be alright. I would make it to work. My day would be just fine. God would hear me no matter where I prayed. But, knowing what would likely be didn't stop me from living those moments with uncertainty.

Living with uncertainty is like being on a roller-coaster ride. It starts out slowly, but before you know it you are whisked away in a seemingly unending series of twists and turns. Similarly, when faced with uncertainty, your thoughts go from clear and focused to a speeding mass of whys and how’s. A roller-coaster has a way of taking control in the same way we are swept up in a bout of uncertainty.

The thing is, getting on a roller-coaster is a choice. We decide to approach the ride. We decide to get on or keep walking right on by. We decide. We decide if we want to stay calm and focused. We decide if we want to allow our day to be a speeding mass of whys and how’s. Living with uncertainty is just like the thrill of a roller-coaster, but riding it is up to us. We decide.


Adayinthelife :-)



No comments: