Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Love Is Like A River Peaceful And Deep

Last night I was put on the spot. The question sounded fairly simple. "Do you love me?" I wanted to answer, but I took the easy way out and smiled. I smiled with my mouth, but it was the thing that happened with my eyes and with my body that should have betrayed my answer. My eyes said yes, my arms said hold me, and my mouth was quiet. It was quiet when all that was needed was yes. It was quiet because yes is not big enough for the feelings that I have. Yes does nothing for the moments when our eyes meet and I am calm and thrilled in the same instant.

My thoughts of you are round and messy and yes doesn't cover how it feels to miss you before you are even gone. Yes does nothing for the moments when I wonder how God shaped your hair, your mouth, and your eyes. What would yes do except complicate a completely simplistic exchange? Do I love you? Do I love you? Do I love you? Of course I love you unless then again I don't. ;)

No comments: