Saturday, March 28, 2015

Speak It Into Existence

"I AM made in the likeness and image of God. I AM created by Him, for Him, and to His Glory." ~Dr. Henry L. Porter


I am a person who is in love with words. I love to write them. I love to see how one word sitting next to another word can change a person's mind, change a person's perspective, and change everything about what you thought you knew. I love the different nuances in the written and spoken word. The way that spoken words activate something inside of us that is far more reaching than just what is experienced by the reading words from paper. The way the experience changes when you hear yourself speak the words for the first time.

I don't have trouble remembering the first time I experienced the words from My Confession of Profession. It begins "I AM made in the likeness and image of God. I AM created by Him, for Him, and to His Glory." To be honest, I read the words in the back of the church program and was unmoved. I didn't have a visual connection to seeing the words, but when we spoke them out loud the very hairs on my neck stood up. "I AM made in the likeness and image of God." Imagine a church full of people speaking that all at once.

I looked around to see girls and boys, men and women alike all speaking boldly. I looked around and knew that with each word we were activating each other's faith. "I AM made in the likeness and image of God. I AM created by Him, for Him, and to His Glory." As we spoke, we began activating what we do in the minutes after we stopped speaking and the days that were to come. "I AM made in the likeness and image of God. I AM created by Him, for Him, and to His Glory."

It was easy to say the words and even easier to believe that I was speaking over where I was in my life on that Sunday. I was speaking over the thoughts of what I used to be. I was speaking the very words that would help to usher in the new life that God had already prepared for me. "I AM made in the likeness and image of God. I AM created by Him, for Him, and to His Glory."

Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: