Thursday, May 14, 2015

I've Been Running From Jesus A Long Time....And I'm Not Tired Yet

I have so many fond memories from high school. There were parties, football games, tons of shopping and hanging out with friends. I can remember just how amazing it was to hold hands or share a first kiss. All of these were memories that I knew would last forever. I cherish them and do my best to recite them in my mind so that I remember them. The one memory that sticks with me without rehearsal or the smallest drop of nostalgia is the day that my friend's aunt looked me square in the eye and said "you're going to be an evangelist". She might as well have said "ready, set, go!".

That was the day that I began running away from Jesus. I put on the best pair of spiritual running shoes and ran right up outta there. I ran away from the conversation. I ran away from the church. I ran away from any and everything that looked like it might represent God. I'm going to be an evangelist???? No thank you.

Truth be told, I had no idea what an evangelist was. All I knew was that it had something to do with God or the bible or both. I was a teenager who knew about God and the bible, but what I wanted to be was free. I wanted to be free from Him speaking to me through the scriptures. I wanted to be free from Him showing me things in my dreams. I wanted to be free from the weight of visions that I didn't want or understand. So I ran.

It started out like I was trying to set the world record in the 40, but then I settled in and paced myself like a trained marathon runner. I slowed down at times. I even made sure that I could still hear God....just a little. But never, not once ever did I stop running. 

I've been running from Jesus a long time..... (to be continued)





Adayinthelife ;-)


No comments: