Friday, July 24, 2015

Tell The Truth and Shame The Devil

Have you ever looked someone in the eye and told them a lie? Of course you have. We all have. It is something that begins when we are small children and continues on unchecked for most if not all of our lives. Many of us say we hate liars, but we are all liars. Do you hate yourself? I know that question might jar you, but remember this is tell the truth and shame the devil.

The truth is you don't hate yourself. I don't hate myself. We all have a healthy degree of regard for who we are, but we are all a bit naive. If I say that I weigh 130 pounds when the scale says 140, I am a liar. If I tell a friend I was sleeping when they called while I was watching a movie, I am still a liar. If I tell a story in a way that I look blameless when I am actually guilty, I am a liar. Liars align with and glorify the father of lies. But, I am a Christian. Right?

Telling the truth about myself is difficult. It is hard to admit that I have told lies without even thinking of them. I have allowed people to assume things. I have had to then lie for the sake of the implied lie that they believed. I'm not boasting here. I am actually doing what we all have to do. We must tell the truth and shame the devil.

We must admit that we have a problem and seek God's help to fix it. Saying I've lied about my weight or my age or whatever it is pleases God and brings shame to the devil. Speaking the truth allows us to hold one another accountable so that we can turn away from lying and turn back to the freedom that is found in the truth. Telling the truth requires a repentant heart. One that convicts you the moment that you lie. One that pushes you to seek God's face. One that won't allow you to continually speak untruthfully. One that forces you to speak God's truth and bring the devil shame.


All Your words are true; all Your righteous laws are eternal. ~ Psalm 119:160


Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: