Friday, October 16, 2015

It's By God's Grace

I have never met anyone who didn't seek the approval of loved ones or peers. We exude a great deal of effort to achieve more than our parents imagined we could. Our focus is on being the next best at everything and when we receive titles, promotions, and raises, we bask in the glory of what we have worked so hard to do. There are many things in my own life that I worked for, but the achievement of them was by God's grace.

Conventional wisdom would say that I am responsible for my success. I went to school. I got good grades. I worked hard and secured a job. But, the truth is I went to school because I thought that's what you're supposed to do. I did just enough to have what I thought was a respectable GPA. My efforts at finding a job were minuscule. Everything that I have was given to me most undeservedly by the grace of God.

So what is the grace of God? God's grace is His loving kindness. His grace is His favor. God's grace is seen in how we express sincere thanks. His grace is shown in how we live when we realize we are under His grace. And of course I must add that His grace is sufficient.

Now to tell you what that all really means. There is nothing that I could do to deserve God's love. There is nothing that I can do to deserve His favor. We receive God's grace at His word, His will, and His command. It is not our work or our goodness. It is the work that He does in us and His loving kindness flowing out of us. His grace is sufficient because He is sufficient. God is enough. Grace is enough.

The challenge is to view grace and life in the same vein. They are both remarkable gifts that should humble us and elevate God.


For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.
Romans 12:3


Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: