Sunday, February 14, 2016

I Love You, But I Can't Say I Do

Do you ever think about what happens the moment when you tell someone that you love them? I am not talking about the physical reactions that we have. Think for a moment beyond the butterflies in your stomach, the instant smile on your face, and the increased pace of your heart. What happens when you say I love you? Well, I'll tell you. When you say I love you, every expectation that the other person has changes. When you say I love you, you are also saying I do. Let me explain.

I love you is a phrase that carries with it the expectation of action. I love you so I will stand by you. I love you so I will be faithful to you. I love you so I will fight for you. I love you so no matter what happens I'm going to be here with you. We say I love you and those three words start the countdown to the day when we will say I do. If we are honest, that is the expectation. Right?

What happens when I say I love you, but I can't say I do? Does that mean that your expectations of me change? No. Does that mean that I will no longer stand by you? No. Does that mean that I will not be faithful to you? No. It does mean that I never understood what saying I love you carried. It means that I am capable of saying the right things "I love you". It means I am also capable of doing the right things "being there for you". However, if I can say I love you, but I can't say I do, it is because I don't understand that to God "I love you" and "I do" are one and they same.

You see when we say I love You to God, the I do is implied. I love You and I do what You say. I love You and I do understand that means keeping Your commands. I love You and I do commit myself to You wholeheartedly. I love You and I do Your will. I love You and I do accept that my life belongs to You. Basically, if our I love you was directed by God, it would be impossible to not say I do.


Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: