Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas


Christmas holds as many meanings as the stars that our eyes see
To some it's snowmen and gingerbread houses
To others it's icicles and garland wrapped around a Christmas tree

Down south, where I'm from, it's sunny days with just a hint of cold air
Ham, turkey, and barbecue are but a few of the foods there

Are deviled eggs and crab legs, fried chicken, roasted duck, and cane burgers too
We always have cakes, pies, and cookies
But Christmas isn't just about the food

It's card games, bounce houses, and football games shared with family members
from destinations far and wide
It's a hundred or so people on my uncle's front lawn
plus his neighbors wishing we would be quiet

We take so many pictures
1st the kids, then the cousins, and the grands
We all huddle up around each other
cracking jokes until we can barely stand

Around about this time, the DJ begins to spin
Name that tune is a popular game on Christmas
because of the money you win

The dance contest is also always a trip
My aunt Tina does the two-step with her daughters
and occasionally the dip

She usually spends a lot of time dancing throughout the day
Her moves and the smile she greets each person with
adds a certain warmth to the day

But I tell you even these things are not what completes Christmas for me
Besides this year I'm miles away
and I didn't even buy a tree

But I did spend time remembering all the years past
Waking up to Cookie's homemade breakfast
or sitting around with my sister's having a blast

I thought about my grandparents Evora, Ellease, Sarah, Pop and Mr. Boy
But most of all I thought about Jesus
for He is our Joy

He is the reason for each memory that I've shared with you today
Because without Him I wouldn't be here
And that's all I have time to say

Adayinthelife:-)




No comments: