Thursday, February 6, 2014

CEO

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds"
Hebrews 10:24

When I was young, I used to dream of climbing the corporate ladder. I thought that the thing to do was to work really hard until I was the CEO of a fortune 500 company. I would have to step on a few people on my way up, but that was just a part of how it worked. If I wanted to climb the ladder, I had to be cutthroat. I couldn't spend time thinking about the people that I would pass along the way. I had to have a singular focus. It was me or them. Only one person could be at the top. 

Thankfully, I let go of that dream. I didn't realize it at the time, but there was no way that that dream could come to fruition along side a life of service to God. For starters, if we are selfishly pursuing our own dreams, that leaves no room for us to pursue God. To add to that my dream included purposefully hurting the people that I was commanded to love. Love thy neighbor cannot coexist with a singular focus to advance to the top.

The dream I once had was not mine alone. In America, being the best is the dream. It is one of the things that our country is founded on. We are taught that hard work and perseverance will pay off. You can be anything that you want to be. My question is who wants to be a soul winner? Who wants to work hard and persevere in the work that God has set before the Christian body? We won't be able to have a singular focus. We won't be able to step on others as we rise to the top.

We will have to operate as a team relying on our brothers and sisters. We will need the team for this work. Some will be needed so that the team can show the world what it means to give and receive God's help. Others will be needed so that the world will see live examples of what happens when two or three are gathered together. We will work beside a great many to help a countless number of others to know the truth about God. 

Most of us will work diligently for God and never become CEO of anything, but really Christians should we be concerned about being a CEO when the CEO is God?  



"We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
Romans 15:1

Adayinthelife :-)


No comments: