Thursday, November 6, 2014

Home Field Advantage

One of the first things that I learned as a student at LSU was that Death Valley, also known as Tiger Stadium, was the place where dreams went to die. I was so perplexed by that statement. The place where dreams went to die? I made it my business to figure out what exactly that meant. I was surprised to find out that a part of the reason that the saying is so popular is that LSU is almost unbeatable in Death Valley. From 2005 to the present, LSU has won 62 of 70 home games. That's an 89% win percentage. I would say that's a pretty sweet home field advantage.

As much as I love LSU, I want more than 89%. I want to know that I am going to win 100% of the time. Many think that it is impossible to win all of the time. No team is that good home field advantage or not. I believe that victory can be achieved 100% of the time if you are on the right team.

It is not hard to gather that I am going to say that victory is guaranteed if you are playing on God's team. What is going to be hard for some to accept is that victory requires more than just identifying yourself as a member of the home team. Anyone can say "Geaux Tigers". Anyone can wear a jersey. Anyone can become a fan. Many of LSU's die hard fans have never attended the school and certainly never played a single down of football. Yet, each person believes that week after week LSU will leave the field victorious.

But what is it that fuels that belief? How can a man, woman, or child who has not put forth any action expect that victory will be the end result? This is the expectation that we as Christians also have. We put on bracelets that says WWJD. We sing our hearts out to our favorite worship songs. We even identify ourselves as Baptists, Catholics, or the ever popular nondenoms. But we forget to enroll in Jesus University and study the word of God. We forget to run out on the field and play our position. We forget that we cannot expect to have the home field advantage without being coached by God.

"For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory."
Deuteronomy 20:4




Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: