Thursday, November 13, 2014

Renewing Your Mind

Where the mind goes, the body follows. This is why it's so important to make sure that your thoughts are always on God. When we allow ourselves to get caught up in worldly thoughts and the desires of our flesh, our bodies end up serving as sin's playground instead of temples of the holy spirit. We end up in the very position that causes us to be separated from God.

I can tell you that I've been there. I've been so wrapped up in a thought that I completely forgot how I got there. I completely forgot what it was that took me to a place where God wasn't the focus or even a fraction of what was going on in my mind. It was in these moments that I was most vulnerable to sin. My mind was unguarded. Thoughts were completely unchecked. I found myself doing things that I cannot now explain. In the past I've said, it was just for fun or I did what I wanted to do. But, who truly wants to live a life on the edge of death?

The edge of death was where I was because of what I let control my mind. My mind told me I wanted a drink so I had one. Then my mind told me I was alright to drive myself and three friends home after having had far more than a few drinks. Where the mind goes, the body follows right? My mind took me on the same path countless times. Hang out with your friends. Have a few drinks. Drive everyone home. It was so routine that I no longer even had to think about what we were going to do. Surprisingly when I stopped rehearsing hanging out and drinking in my mind, I stopped wanting to do it. 

Where the mind goes, the body follows. My mind was so exhausted that it stopped. I am asked all the time. Why did you stop hanging out? How come you no longer drink? What changed for you? Depending on what day it was I may have answered that I was tired of hanging out. I may have said that I no longer enjoyed the taste of alcohol. On occasion I have even said at some point you just have to grow up. What I should've said, the thing that wasn't always clear to me before, is a whole lot simpler. God renewed my mind.

"I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh."
Ezekiel 11:19


Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: