Saturday, January 10, 2009

On My Own Terms

I'm finally back in my own space. The drive was great. It only took 6 hours and 20 minutes. Yes, I was speeding. I spent most of the drive talking to one of my best girlfriends. She pretty much hates the Internet and has never read my blog so I had to catch her up.

I feel so much better now that the drive is behind me. I decided to stick it out. I've known him my whole life and that's a long time to know someone and love them. I kept thinking about what it must be like to be him. I can imagine, but I'll never know what it's like to feel like I just have to keep drinking. I'll never know what it's like to not be able to put a drink down and just live. I know that there are many rough days ahead. Truthfully, most of them are already behind me. I've experienced so many things with him through the years. If I had to make a list, the bad things (all a result of drinking) outweighed the good a long time ago. I keep hanging in because I believe that everyone can turn it around. It may take him longer than I'd like, but I'll still be there at the end.

1 comment:

Strongblkwmn said...

I'm glad you decided to be there. Your friend is going to need those he loves when he hits rock bottom. Alcoholism is a terrible, nasty disease.