Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Child's Heart

Isaiah 54:13 KJV

And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord ; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. And if I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

This was one of the first prayers that I ever learned. I am not ashamed to say that I sometimes still say this prayer when I go to bed. To some it may seem simple. To me it is a reminder of a young girl who first learned to believe. Memories of a time when all I knew was to pray.

Growing up I spent a lot of time with my grandma and my great-grandma. I had nosebleeds quite often. Each time I had one, grandma would read to me from the bible and pray. If I was sad, great-grandma would tell me to pray. If I didn'tlike something, they both said pray. For every situation that presented itself in my young life, I was instructed to pray.

Sometimes when I asked too many questions my grandma would say "child I don't know". Instead of feeling defeated, I would talk to God. I figured if grandma didn't know surely God did. In those days my thoughts were overwhelming. I was only around 8 when it first started.The year that my grandma died was around the same time I started to wonder about everything. She was gone so I prayed.

"Will my cousin come to live with us? What do You think about my sister having a baby? Do drug dealers go to heaven? Will my friends and family fall in love with Jesus? Will my dad find time to see me? Why are there so many people living on the streets? Why can I see things in my dreams?"

These were the questions that guided many of my prayers. Some of these questions still make appearances on my prayer list now. I still lay in bed wondering about the things that shape the world and the things that shape my life. My curiosity still leads me to sometimes ask too many questions. This is why I still talk to God.



Adayinthelife:-)

No comments: