Friday, September 20, 2013

Are You Willing To Wait?

Genesis 18:11-14 KJV

Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women. Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also? And the Lord said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old? Is any thing too hard for the Lord ? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is one that is usually looked at from the perspective of the promise that God made to Abraham. Sarah is referenced, but only once have I heard someone expand on her experience. The title of that message was Sometimes You Have to Laugh to Keep From Crying.

God promised Abraham that he would be the father of many nations. What did that promise mean to Sarah? Most messages separate them, but as husband and wife they are one. If a promise was made to one, that promise had the same power for the other.

God's promise meant that Sarah, who no doubt had resigned herself to never being a mother, would be the mother of nations. Unfortunately, Sarah didn't know how to hear that. She also didn't know how to wait. Sarah heard the promise, doubted, and took matters into her own hands.

It's so easy to say oh I would've believed the promise. I would have waited. I can't say I would have. I may have looked at my 90 year old self and saw impossibility. I may have done just like Sarah.

I might have acted like God spoke only to my husband and not the flesh of MY flesh. God spoke to Abraham but His promise was for Abraham & Sarah. The fulfillment of the promise required them to do 3 things: believe God, submit to His will, and wait. God is going to keep His promise to you. The questions are do you believe Him? Are you operating in His will? And are you willing to wait?

Adayinthelife:-)

No comments: