Wednesday, September 11, 2013

He Saw The Best In Me

Jeremiah 31:3 NIV

The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.


I thought about what I wanted to share this week. The story of Hosea and Gomer crossed my mind more than once. He saw the best in his wife despite the fact that she was a prostitute. I thought about King David and how God saw the best in him regardless of adultery and his life as a man of war. I thought also of Judas and how Jesus walked with him, talked with him, and even honored him by washing his feet. There were so many easy choices before me. How could I speak on the example that had happened to me?

It began when I decided to force him not to like me. I sat there thinking to myself "he is not who I thought he was. I have to get out of this date."

As I sat thinking of retreat because the person in front of me didn't match the image in my head, he just kept smiling. So I started talking. I told him every wrong thing that I had ever done. I didn't stop for commentary, questions, or air. I just kept talking because I wanted him to know that I was horrid. I wanted him to know that I was not worthy of that moment of his time.

He never tried to stop me or interrupt the barrage of information that kept flying at him. When I could not recall anything else (I had shared all the way back to the age of 15), I stopped talking and looked at him. On his face was the same smile that greeted me a couple of hours before. "Well, we all have a past." He said these words so matter of factly that I forgot what my purpose was.

He just kept smiling and proceeded to tell me that none of those things mattered because they were not who I was. They were just an amusing list of things that I'd done. I was annoyed because I had no idea why he was so calm. I couldn't fathom why he was still smiling and not the least bit phased by a word I said. But now I know that he saw the best in me. He opened his ears, listened to my truth, and decided to allow his eyes to look past Candy and rest on God.

Adayinthelife:-)

No comments: