Thursday, March 27, 2014

Is Seeing Believing?

We are hours away from the premiere of the movie Noah. In the past couple of weeks, so many questions have been asked about the movie. Will it follow the biblical story? Will it be too Hollywood? I myself wonder will seeing the story cause someone to believe?

I know that it has happened before. Friends of mine saw the Passion of the Christ and realized that Jesus was real. Others credit Charleston Heston's portrayal of Moses in the Ten Commandments with convincing them to follow God. My own sister told me how much seeing Left Behind helped her. So you can see why I would wonder if this movie, a man made creation, would be the gateway to faith in Christ?

The bible says that faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. If this is true why must we look to entertainment to validate what God has already told us in his Word? Why is our belief established in the scope of 20/20 vision instead of the beauty of a natural eye that has never had the ability to see? Why do we speak so highly of our faith when we truly value it so little?

We value the $10 that we will pay to see Noah. When the movie ends, many will say it was worth every penny. Others will say I have to see it again it was just that good.

Just as the flood waters rise and the storm begins to rage, hearts will begin to beat faster. A tear or two will fall for the people who CGI magic will dramatically sweep away. "My God" will be whispered just as a woman, then a man, a boy, and a girl have their Jesus moment. "I can see it now. It's so clear to me. Lord forgive me for doubting you." The words will sound sincere, heartfelt, and full of emotion. But the question that you should ask your neighbor if you hear them or the man in the mirror if you utter these words yourself is do I believe in God because of what I'm seeing in a movie or is my belief tied to my faith and nothing else?

John 9:39
Jesus said,[a] “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”

Adayinthelife:-)

No comments: