Friday, May 9, 2014

A Mother


More than words to fill a field
Or steps to climb a mountain
Twice the sum of infinity
Here in my heart will always be
Everything you mean to me
Reaching to the depths of the sea…
my l-o-v-e

I began by putting the word mother in a short poem because it reminded me of the assignments that I have done over the years with my kids. I am not a mother in the natural sense, but I have children. I have babies who I have watched grow into young men and young women.

When I think of them, my kids, I think of how it was such a privilege to be a part of their lives. A privilege that I hold even closer to my heart because I am not their natural mother. I did not birth them. I did not adopt them so there was no selection involved for me. Yet, I am their mother.

A mother to me is more than conception for many women conceive, but not all mother. A mother to me is more than the rights afforded through adoption because many choose a child without understanding the magnitude of… A mother to me is more than the space occupied to formulate a definition that never once uses the word God.

A mother is one who gives life to the potential that is found in a seed or that is raised from a need in a child that to the world had already been born. A mother is one who adopts a new attitude and perspective and humbly places herself in the position to best train the child. A mother is one who encourages a child to see beyond their reality to a life that can only be captured through faith. A mother is one who yields to the voice of God telling her to release back to Him the child He granted her on loan. A mother is one who gives. A mother is one who believes. A mother is one who loves.



Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: