Thursday, May 22, 2014

Do You Look Like Your Daddy?

I have always been unashamed and unafraid to tell people that Herbert Brooks is my daddy. I remember standing a little taller when people would respond that I looked just like him. For the longest time, I walked and stood with the same bowed legs. And I still to this day, have a touch of O.C.D. that my mom swears I got from him. Nevertheless, I never shied away from being known as a Brooks girl.

I wish I had always walked with the same boldness when it came to God. When it came to professing that He was my Father, I was like a shrinking violet. I wanted to look like Him. I wanted to walk like Him. Oh how much I wanted to be able to stand, unmovable like Him. But I couldn't. I didn't trust myself to be a reflection of who He was. 

I didn't trust myself to be a beacon of light. I didn't trust myself to be a peacemaker. I was so afraid to be gentle. I found myself being harsh and abrasive to keep people at a distance.

With my mouth I professed God as my Father, but I was not one of His. I was not a representative of the sweet, enduring fruit that grows from His tree. God is the tree of life. He is the full embodiment of love and everything, every single fruit that He bears is the same. 

Do you look like your Daddy? Understand that this question refers to Daddy God. Do you bear the mark that all of His children bear? Are you a reflection of 1 Corinthians 13? Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. Are you a living sacrifice? Do you place others and their needs before your own? If these things are not what you see reflected, you fell from a tree but you are not God's fruit. As the scripture says, you will know a tree by the fruit that it bears. If you are not a reflection of God the father, then could it be that you are one of satan's heirs? I know what that looks like. I've been there. Do you look like your Daddy?


You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
Romans 8:44

Adayinthelife :-)







No comments: