Thursday, June 5, 2014

Stop, Look, and Listen

In recent years, I've heard Christian brothers and sisters say "why bother to even get married when you know it is likely to end in divorce?" There is very little that can mask my utter and complete sadness at hearing that and knowing that there are so many who view marriage with the same lens as they do divorce.

The more that I think about divorce, I wonder do my Christian brothers and sisters really examine the choice to divorce? Do they bother to stop, look, and listen before deciding that divorce is the solution to whatever it is that is plaguing their relationship? Or do Christians just go along with the world's process of feeling like divorce is a necessary end when difficulties arise in marriage? If I could I would challenge Christians to

Stop
Completely suspend the motion of moving forward . As simple as it is, many find it challenging just to stop. Stop arguing. Stop dissecting. Stop looking for a way to fix it or not. Stop long enough to remember to wait on the Lord. Wait for Him if it means being still for five minutes or five days. Wait for Him to stop the thought that has you moving in the direction to end what He Himself brought together. 

I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”
Lamentations 3:24

I would then challenge them to 

Look 
Open both of your spiritual eyes to see the Lord standing before you in the form of that man or that woman that somehow you have decided to divorce. Look and see the God in their walk. Look and see the God in their laugh or the way that they make themselves available to serve others. Look beyond the eyes, nose, and mouth that used to make you smile and see the spirit of the one true living God.

No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
1 John 4:12

Lastly, I would challenge them to 

Listen
Listen to the voice of the Shepherd directing you to draw near to Him. Listen to the promises that are all throughout His word. Listen to His commands to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Listen to His command to love one another. Listen intently to His assurance to never leave you nor forsake you and remember that when you were joined together in marriage you took the same stand.

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.
Psalm 37:7




Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: