Friday, January 23, 2015

Follow Me As I Follow Christ

One of the things that I hate to remember is how many times I convinced someone to take one for the team. The statement, though universal, had quite an array of meanings for anyone who was friends with me. Regardless of the value that was assigned to it in the moment, it always meant follow me. Do whatever it is that I am doing.

I used to talk about my ability to get people to take one for the team with pride. I was satisfied with my ability to lead and have them follow. I enjoyed being the leader of the group so much so that I positioned myself there and would not move until everything was my way or as close to my way as was comfortable.

I am ashamed of all of that now because it was all so empty. I wanted them to follow me and I rejoiced when they did. Until a few years ago I didn't realize that there had been no purpose for it.

The path that I was walking was one that was chock full of sin. Follow me as I curse. Follow me as I treat others like they are beneath me. Follow me as I lead you to do anything that would be equated with sin. Follow me as I walk a path away from righteousness. Follow me as I do all that I can to fit in.

Yes, the leader of debauchery was just trying to fit in. I was trying to fit in to a world system that ridiculed people who wanted to do what was right. So follow me I said. Follow me so I won't have to be alone when I'm drunk. But what does being drunk have to do with what is important in this life?

I was bold an unashamed to say follow me when my focus was the club. Yet, I often shrink back from encouraging people to follow me now that my focus is Christ. FOLLOW ME TO HAPPY HOUR has been replaced with follow me for an hour of bible study and prayer. Blanket invitations to hang out and party used to go out weekly, but invitations to discipleship are barely even there.

Isn't discipleship what this life is all about? Shouldn't we be focused on having others to follow us as we lead lives that imitate and honor Christ? Jesus spoke boldly of the kingdom of God and provided a blueprint of discipleship for all that He encountered. He was not ashamed to encourage others to follow Him because His path led to everlasting life. Now I must boldly say FOLLOW ME AS I FOLLOW CHRIST.

"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." ~I Corinthians 1:11

Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: