Thursday, January 15, 2015

Is Your Mouth Blocking Your Blessings?

Have you ever wondered aloud why you were so blessed or why you had so much favor? You might have said things like "I know I didn't deserve this" or "I don't know how all of these good things keep happening to me". In the midst of your wondering you may have told your unbelievable story to a friend or colleague. The tone of your conversation was one of wonder, amazement, and just a hint of doubt. "God is really opening doors for me" you said. "He keeps making a way out of no way and I sure thank Him" followed next. But then you ended with an "I just don't know what to do I’m so blessed" or "what am I going to do with all of this?” 

The praise is understandable. Who wouldn't speak positively of the things that God is doing in their lives? However, those little seeds of doubt that surface the longer we talk are the things that we must consider. The question that I pose for you is, is your mouth blocking your blessings? 

Think about the question before you respond. Have you talked so much that you talked yourself right out of what someone had for you? It may have been something as small as a kind word or as large as a job promotion. The person offering was on assignment from God, but your words deterred them. Your words were what blocked your blessing.

I've been in situations where I could not understand what was happening in a natural sense. I received both tangible and spiritual blessings that I talked about in a way that cut off the avenue that they came from. I spoke from a place of doubt instead of a place where mustard seed faith could move a mountain. I have blocked the blessing of appreciation by saying “no thanks was needed”. I have blocked the blessing of promotion by saying “I’m not sure I can do the job”. Then, like clockwork I have wondered what happened to my blessings? What happened to the overflow that God had promised? I forgot about my own words as quickly as I had spoken them. I forgot about speaking seeds of doubt. I forgot that what was blocking my blessings was my inability to stop what came out of my own mouth.


Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: