Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A throwback

I wanted to feel disappointed so I did what I usually do when happiness seems too good to be true. I picked up the phone and called him....my arch nemesis, my soul mate, my friend. He who is the very beginning and end of my aggravation. If he would have stuck to the plan, I would have been satisfied.

After the third ring, I felt safe that I would be thoroughly disappointed. Then it happened. He answered. Disappointment sailed out the window. I didn't know what to say. Of course I wanted to talk to him, but since when have my wants run the show?

I managed "hello". Then I sat there afraid to be happy and too shocked to let disappointment resurface and rule the day. In the span of 10 seconds I realized that I missed him.....really missed him. Missed him the way you miss soul food when you are a slave to Jenny Craig. Missed him so much that my chest hurt, eyes watered, and I cried.

Cried because I remembered all of our arguments. Cried because of all the times we spent together laughing. Cried even more over the months that had kept us apart. Cried so much I forgot he was even there.

After a few minutes, he said my name and it calmed me. I felt like we were heading for a happy place. Felt like nothing would come between us ever again. And with that thought I started crying again. It was such a blessing to be in touch with an old friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well....Please don't leave us hanging. What happened after you called him???

Candy said...

We made up, enjoyed several drama free months, and then stopped talking again. We've been friends since we were kids. It's just stuff we go through. We are both very opinionated which is what normally leads to our disagreements. We're good now. The posting was literally a throw back from three years ago. I wrote about it in my journal. He was on my mind alot today so he got the post.