Sunday, November 2, 2008

Your Life Is Important

I was talking to one of my BFF's the other day and he said he didn't know which of his friends was saved. He also indicated that a large number of them went to church. The conversation sparked something in me at the time, but I wasn't quite sure what it was that I wanted to say until today.

Many people find attending church important. The reasons are as varied as the number of denominations that exist. I personally find it important because I think it is an honor to the Father. I remember when I stopped going to church. It wasn't a conscious decision. I didn't sit down and plot out a strategy. It began because I felt very angry with God for taking my grandmother. The situation worsened when I moved with my father. He didn't attend and didn't force the issue on me. I went every now and then in high school, but when I went to college I gave up church all together. For 3 years I did not set foot in a church for anything except my grandmother's funeral.

Then, it happened. I started realizing that things were not as they should be. Thursday night live was no longer all that live. Drinking games with my roommates no longer fascinated me. My life was full of people and things, but I was lacking. The life that I was living was not important.

I wrote yesterday about finding my church home and it is just that my home. What I failed to say then is that having a church home isn't what changed my life. Having a church home would have been about as important as mindless drinking games had I not realized Jesus was missing from my life. Many have a home and believe me I know the importance of that. However, without Jesus you don't have a life.

No comments: