Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pick Your Battles Wisely

A distinctive marker of far too many relationships is how often those involved fight. This is true in both romantic and platonic relationships. Girlfriends wear the number of fights they have survived and remained friends as a badge of honor. An all to familiar conversation involves recounting how many times they have "fell out" over the years. Some couples also measure the health of their relationships in the number of epic battles that have been waged and won. The details of which also find themselves woven into the fabric of daily conversation. Then there are the parents who proudly argue, fuss, and fight with their children in what is usually described as an exercise in getting them to behave. I wonder have any of us ever stopped to assess what all the fighting is for?

How many battles have you chosen to fight without consideration for the outcome? Did you think my words may injure my friend? Did you think my tone could discourage my child or break something in my spouse that I am ill equipped to repair? Was there at least one moment where you asked yourself is this something that is even worth fighting for?

I have not always been thoughtful in this way. I have screamed when I should have whispered. I have cursed freely while holding apologies for ransom. I have fought just because it meant winning...not long term winning. No. My thoughts were for the moment when holding my point would wear the person out and I would have seemingly gained an advantage. But, time and wisdom has me thinking about the battles I chose to fight and those I should have known better than to choose.

How many battles did I fight for the sake of peace? How many lives were changed because I ignored my assignment to restore?  Scripture tells us that we are to pursue peace with all men and that my friends is exactly what we should be fighting for. 


Adayinthelife :-)


No comments: