Thursday, July 3, 2014

To Protect and Serve

When I was growing up, I remember thinking of all of the things that I wanted to be. At different stages, I wanted to be an actress, a CEO, a writer, and even for one short summer a singer. I thought that each of those jobs would suit me for various reasons. I studied what it would take to become successful at each. I daydreamed about what it would be like. I even wrote down my master plan.

I can say without hesitation that I never not once wanted to have a job in law enforcement, but that is exactly the job that I hold today. I am one of God’s children and as such I am a spiritual law enforcer. You might wonder as I did what does that even mean? A job in law enforcement has many different requirements, but the two that really stick out for me are to protect and serve.

Spiritual law enforcers must work diligently to protect all of those who they encounter. Shielding the public from the pull of sin is the key objective. Officers must be sure to intercept and diffuse all of satan’s attempts to distribute malicious content. This can only be done when the officer is equipped with the right spirit and that spirit is the spirit of God. There exists no gun, knife, missile, or blade that can destroy God’s spirit. When armed with God’s spirit, the spiritual law enforcer acts as a shield for everyone who is in harm’s way. 

A spiritual law enforcer must also be one who serves. Scripture tells us in 1 John 5:16, that we should pray for those who we observe committing a sin. Submitting ourselves in prayer for others is the ultimate act of service. This is because effectively praying for others requires the spiritual law enforcer to be clean and free from sin. Abstaining from sin and purely following the word of God benefits the law enforcer however, the true benefits are to those who are served by the prayers that they themselves could not put before God. 

If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that.
1 John 5:16

Adayinthelife :-)

No comments: