Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Anjanette

I had the kind of day that seemed destined to end up bad. I woke up before the alarm because I was having a bad dream. I can't really remember what happened, but it was something physical because my back was hurting and I was very uncomfortable. This made is so difficult to get out of bed. It was like my back hurts, it's cold, and nothing good really happens when I go to job fairs anyway. But, I drug myself out of bed and decided to put on something pretty to jump start my day.

I arrived at the job fair and momentarily thought I'd beat the crowd. When I saw the line, I wanted to turn around and get in the car. It was ridiculous. There are just not enough words in the English language to describe how many people were in the line. My spirits went back to where they were when I woke up. Thankfully, I was in line next to one of the nicest ladies. She was a mom and maybe I was putting off the I need to be mothered vibe or maybe she's just awesome. I don't care which because with a few words she changed the course of my day for the rest of the day.

Anjanette gave me advice and a smile....a genuine smile. The kind that was effortless. I appreciated it so much that I took it with me to booth after booth. I held it in my heart when being told that my resume sucked (it helped that I already totally felt like this). Anjanette was with me and she is with me now as I am typing this. I have no idea if I will ever see her again, but our brief time made such a profound impression on me.

Now, to the other part of the day. I had lunch with a new friend. It was really nice and sweet. It was easy just enjoying the space and being me. I was sad to hear that he will be in my space for only a short time. Hopefully I will carry the memory of our day together in the same way that I am carrying Anjanette.

No comments: