Thursday, May 30, 2013

Give Unto God

Last year I had a conversation with one of my girlfriends about tithing. Both of us had been faithful tithe payers for years, but we were beginning to question why. Speaking for myself, I wondered why I was paying faithfully and still not getting ahead. Every month my tithe check was written along with my rent, car payment, and other bills. If you were to take a look at my monthly budget, tithe was written at the top of the list. Imagine that, my tithe listed as a bill. Right below it was listed my offering. In my mind, this was putting God first. Truth is it wasn't.

Tithing is giving to God and when we give to God it is a form of worship. I don't know about anyone else, but I am not in worship mode when I pay the rent. I didn't have an ounce of reverence for the good people at Tallahassee utilities. I paid my bills out of routine. Now you see the problem with my thinking of my tithe and offering as a bill?

My tithe and offering were bills that I routinely paid to the bill collector. No wonder I became weary with that. My focus was on the wrong thing. I turned it over in my mind for a while. On one level I understood the principle of tithing, but along the road I had dropped off the element of worship. You can give routinely and satisfy the monetary requirements, however your giving is in vain if you are not doing it with the right spirit. Remember,
Colossians 3:23 KJV

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.

Adayinthelife:-)

No comments: