Thursday, May 23, 2013

I Believe In The Power of Prayer

I believe in the power of prayer. Prayer has been what has grounded me and made such a positive impact on my life. My first memories involve praying before dinner and at bedtime. My favorite of these prayers was “now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. And if I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.” A simple prayer to a little girl that still has so much relevance thirty plus years later.

My belief in prayer and that prayer specifically rests in the comfort that it brings. We live in a world where bad things crowd the news daily. When I pray, it puts those things into perspective. When I pray, it gives me a sense of hope and relief. I pray and I can face what is in front of me. I pray and it gives a new meaning to what may come. I pray and everything, even the difficult things that I don’t fully understand, has meaning.

I remember eight years ago when prayer became important to me for my everyday survival. I was facing emergency surgery for the second time in less than a year. My body was worn down from the treatments and the stress that having the treatments caused. I prayed on a daily basis, but my prayers were kind of hollow and reflective of where the sickness was. One day I found myself in excruciating pain. I would later learn that a cyst rupturing was likely the cause of it. I felt weakened and defeated, but a friend who I called on, said let’s pray. He prayed a prayer that immediately lifted my spirits and gave me hope. I hadn’t realized that the prayers that I was praying were full of fancy words and completely lacking hope. On that day, I had a new appreciation for what prayer does and what prayer gives. On that day, I truly understood what it meant to say I believe in the power of prayer.

Adayinthelife:-)

No comments: