Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Pact

I remember when I made a pact with one of my best friends. He was single and trying to find himself. I was single and growing in my relationship with God. We decided that we were going to form a celibacy pact and be each other's accountability partner. We were relatively excited until I looked up the definition of celibacy. You see according to Merriam Webster celibacy means abstaining from sex as well as abstaining by vow from marriage. It was the latter that gave the both of us pause. We had no problem with abstaining, but neither of us had an interest in vowing not to get married. And to be frank, our thought was we were abstaining only until marriage. By no means were we looking for God to take marriage off the table. So we quickly laughed it off and collectively assured God that we only meant we will try not to do it NOW. He had to know how we looked forward to later. But what if there is no later? What if God's plan was that He was going to be the only spouse that we would have? What would happen to our resolve to save ourselves for marriage if there was to be no earthly marriage? Would being legally single & spiritually married to God be enough? I know the bible says delight yourself in the Lord, but what about my needs, my wants, and my secret desires? I can't tell God that I long to be touched can I? The Lord says do not fear cause I am with you. Do not be dismayed for I am your God. But what about my man? What about the father of my children? WHAT about single, saved, and saving myself equals not ending up with a husband? I couldn't have answered that question five years ago. Now I can say God truly will be your comforter. God will love you, hold you, rock you in such a way that leaves no doubt He is the best you could ever have. Adayinthelife:-)

No comments: